For immediate release:
February 15, 2017
Bisexual Resource Center
P.O. Box 170796
Boston, MA 02117
BISEXUAL RESOURCE CENTER DESIGNATES MARCH AS BISEXUAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH
Fourth year of social media campaign to highlight health disparities and spark action is focused on social health
Boston, MA – The Bisexual Resource Center (BRC) will celebrate Bisexual Health Awareness Month (BHAM) for the fourth consecutive year with the launch of a social media campaign beginning March 1st, 2017. BHAM aims to raise awareness of health disparities within the bisexual+ community and promote resources and action; this year, the campaign focuses on social health disparities and steps to build social support and resiliency. The campaign will run on the BRC’s Twitter @BRC_Central (using #BiHealthMonth and #BHAM17), Facebook, Tumblr, blog, and campaign website. The BRC invites individuals and organizations to participate in the campaign online and within their own communities.
Throughout the month of March, the BRC will partner with various LGBTQ+ organizations, including the BiCast, BiNetUSA, Bi Tennessee, COLAGE, GLSEN, the Movement Advancement Project, the National Coalition for LGBT Health, and the Vanderbilt Program for LGBTI Health to feature statistics, resources, and action across various spheres of social health:
- March 1-3: Background information on social health
- March 6-10: (Friends) Social/geographic isolation, finding bi+ community, volunteer opportunities in bi+ organizations
- March 13-17: (Family) Chosen family vs. family of origin, coming out to family, resources for family of bi+ folk
- March 20-24: (Partners) Mixed orientation relationships, characteristics of healthy relationships, resources for healthcare providers
- March 27-30: (Community) Showcasing bi+ experiences of community relationships, resources to improve bi+ competency in schools, workplaces, healthcare settings, etc.
“Now more than ever, communities need to come together to offer support, stand up to injustice, and plan our continued efforts to survive and thrive,” said BRC Co-Presidents Heather Benjamin and Kate Estrop in a joint statement. “This year’s Bisexual Health Awareness Month, focusing on the social health of the bi+ community, will help followers do just that. It will showcase the challenges we have with finding and forming community, and lay out the steps we can take to overcome them.”
For more information, please visit the BHAM campaign website: www.bihealthmonth.org.
The Bisexual Resource Center (BRC) has been advocating for bisexual visibility and raising awareness about the needs of bisexual people throughout the LGBTQIA and straight communities since 1985. The BRC envisions a world where love is celebrated, regardless of sexual orientation or gender expression.
Visit www.biresource.org for more information.
BHAM Social Media Toolkit
Follow the Bisexual Resource Center on their various social media outlets to stay connected with BHAM campaign updates:
Join the conversation! Use the following sample Tweets/posts to begin engaging in the campaign:
- Did you know March is Bisexual Health Awareness Month? Follow @BRC_Central for updates. #BiHealthMonth
- This year’s #BiHealthMonth is focused on Social Health. @BRC_Central will provide stats, resources, & opportunities for action during March!
- Celebrate #BiHealthMonth with @BRC_Central by engaging with their campaign on Social Health in March!
After March 1st:
- #BiHealthMonth is here! Follow the campaign at @BRC_Central.
- I’m celebrating #BiHealthMonth by following @BRC_Central’s campaign on Social Health!
- We’re celebrating #BiHealthMonth by following @BRC_Central’s campaign on Social Health!